The Budapest Castle is the biggest building in Hungary, and the most known building in Budapest. The castle takes the whole space on the Southern part of the castle hill.
The history of the castle dates back to the 13th century, when King Bela IV. had the glorious to own a castle. The castle has a lenght of 400 metres and a width of 200 metres. The building was destroyed during the second world war. The rebuilding of some parts of the castle still continues until today.
The first time the castle was mentioned in a document was in 1255. It was 14 years after Mongolians destroyed Budapest and the area around.
In the 16th century the Turkish invaders needed a couple of years to take the castle and consequently the rest of the city. It was in 1541 when the soldiers in the castle had to surrender. 145 years of Turkish occupation and the decline of the castle followed.
In 1686 the castle was besieged again. This time by a Christian army from Austria under the lead of Duke Charles V. Two months the Christians tried to take the castle which was defended by Turkish soldiers. The 2nd of September 1868 about 5:00pm was the time when the Christian army started the successful attack to take the castle. The building was in Christian hands again, and immediately rebuild and renovated. The fear of a Turkish counterstroke was big.
The Empress Maria Theresia of Austria gave the order to make a nice cosy homely castle out of the old fortress. After 56 years of work the “homely castle” was finnished in 1770. Maria Theresia had 10 years time to use and enjoy her castle in Budapest before she died.
In the “Battle of Budapest” during the second world war in 1944/1945, the castle was the headquater of the German army. In heavy combats almost the whole castle was destroyed. A lot of precious antique items and paintings were burned. The damages of those combats are still not removed yet in some parts of the castle.